Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

tell me what you think...


Hello friends! How was your weekend? The theme of mine unexpectedly turned out to be 'how many strange places can you breastfeed in public.' My list includes in a pirate ship, and while running across a waiting room to grab LM as she made a bolt for the parking lot (I'm not going to lie, that one was a little awkward, but Lark was a champ and never skipped a beat (or suck)). Is this TMI? We were car shopping all day long with two small children and not enough snacks (for one of them at least), so needless to say it was super fun.

This picture was taken before we left to document the first time I actually dressed Lark in 'grown up' clothes for the day (thanks to my SIL for all the cute hand-me-downs!). Looking at it makes me laugh because by the time we got home my hair was much more frazzled, I had spit up down my front, she was stripped back down to her 'baby' onesie, and we were all ready to collapse in a heap on the floor. But I'll be driving a minivan this week... so, worth it?

In unrelated news, I have a question for you...

Have you ever changed your blog name/online identity?

All weekend long I have been going back and forth, and back and forth about whether I should take the plunge and change my blog name as well as open a new etsy shop (still selling children's vintage clothing). Let's face it, the name makes no sense when it comes to my shop. I was one of the many who didn't realize their etsy username would end up being their shop name when signing up. I started this blog at the same time, so I just called it hart+sew as well.

At first it wasn't a big deal because I actually did sew clothes and sell them, but it didn't take long for me to realize that I enjoyed sewing for my own kids, not other people's kids. I fell into selling vintage children's clothing instead, and I'm not sure why I just didn't open up a new shop. Now almost 500 sales, and many kind mentions on blogs later I feel a little stuck.

So, rather than torture my poor Husband more (he has already been listening to me debate this for days), I thought I would put it out there and ask you... Is it too late? Is it never too late? Does it even matter? Am I crazy (because thinking about this is starting to make me feel like I am)?

Your input would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance!

10 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think it's one of the cutest, most clever blog names out there. And who knows, maybe someday you'll return to sewing things for sale! Vintage styled accessories or upcycled vintage goods... But if you feel like a fresh start, I am sure you can come up with an equally catching name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name hart & sew too, but I'm with Rose. If you wanna change-you should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name you have is great, but I get what you mean! I recently changed my blog name as, like you, things changed & well, it was time for a change! Your bit about your shop is a bit trickeir, seeing as you have so many sales(I dream of having so many!). I can see the downside of losing your sales history BUT it can also be a positive! You can contact the peeps that have featured you on their blog etc & get them to mention your new store & generate fresh interest. You could also contact your past customers & let them know about you new shop so that you don't just disappear for them! I don't know if that helps youout at all! In the end, you go all of those sales because you have a great little shop - you'reopening the same shop with a new name, you'll get them all back again! Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...well I switched a couple of months ago and while I feel like the new name and "brand" is way more fitting, it's been a hard transition. I've lost a lot of readers along the way. It took me awhile to build back up and I'm still working on that actually. But I also completely switched domain names and servers etc.

    And for what it's worth, I love Hart + Sew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never even thought twice about your brand name not fitting your shop. I just had seen it in so many places that I recognized it and I bet a ton of others feel the same way. I would personally think it would be a mistake to switch things up, you would probably lose a lot of potential customers/ readers. I just don't think it would be worth it unless it bothers you a TON. But feel free to ignore my opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think your shop name is darling...i think the sew/soul play on words fits very well with vintage clothing...i had no idea it was not thought out:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the clothing was sewn by someone! i think that makes it work regardless of whether or not you made it. i love the name, i vote keep it - it's lovely and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like it.
    it's one of those names that makes me think something like, "why didn't I think of that?"

    it's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. if you want to change it, you should!! change is always fun. plus, i'm sure anything you come up with will be simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm a bit late and I see that you have already decided to stick with it, but for what it's worth, I also think it's a great name and I agree very much with Eve! :)

    ReplyDelete